Saturday, March 8, 2014

Welcome?

I usually don't have a difficult time finding what I want to say.  Here and now, I feel pressure.....this is, after all, my ***first official blog post*** (I heard scary orchestral music just then).  Why am I here?  I found myself thinking, more and more, that I wanted to weigh in on things I was reading online, on other people's blogs, Twitter, Facebook and so on, but it didn't always feel like it was the proper venue for my thoughts.  I didn't want to steal someone's thunder or piss them off on their own turf.  I also have more to say than is appropriate for Facebook's platform.  So after much contemplation, I found myself Googling "best free blog hosting" and Blogger vs. WordPress.  So here I am, mostly because after perusing WP, I felt more comfortable here - seemed more user-friendly. Don't make me sorry, Google!

Once I made the decision and clicked the "start blogging" button, I still wasn't really sure what direction I wanted my blog to take, I'm still not sure.  I do know what I don't want it to be.  I don't want it to be a single topic-centric blog.  I didn't want to start a weight-loss blog, a fat acceptance blog or a single-mom-who-works-from-home-and-has-cats blog or anything like that.  I may occasionally find myself blogging about wanting to lose weight or how it pisses me off that obesity is one of the remaining "socially acceptable" forms of discrimination but I don't want to be pigeon-holed into any one "group".  I may also post pictures of my cats.

So what will you find here?  I will make no guarantees.  I certainly hope you'll find my musings entertaining, thought provoking or at least interesting.  At the risk of sounding self-deprecating, who the hell am I, what makes me think that anyone would give a shit about what I have to say?  Well, when it came right down to it, I guess it really didn't matter to me.  If no one ever reads my blog, I can't say that my feelings wouldn't be hurt but I think I'd get past it and just continue to do what I came here for; to post my thoughts and anecdotes without infringing on someone else's "space".

So, I guess that kind of sums up my intentions.  I hope to find the time to blog at least a few times every week.  I've always been a creative person and I have a pretty decent handle on the English language and my hopes are that those translate into good writing.  If it ever starts to feel like a chore, I'll let you know....and if I ever start to feel like a bore, I hope you'll let me know.

Happy reading.

4 comments:

  1. Great start :) I will continue to read your blogs as long as I remember to. (I am getting old and forgetful)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try and remember to post links to Twitter and my Close Friends list on FB after I write a new entry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just looking to see where I can subscribe but don't know how that works. So yes please do post the links on your close friends list when you write a new entry. I ALMOST signed up for twitter the other day but still holding out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a box at the very bottom of the main page to subscribe by email but I think I can manage to post links.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice, now.